During the summer the Benson Memorial Center was rejuvenated. The first floor, in particular The Bronco and dining areas, has undergone significant renovation. The total project increased the seating count and added 2 new serveries. Three floor cutouts were added to intentionally connect the first floor and the basement. The first floor design removed walls creating an open, inviting, casual space for gathering, studying and community building. All furniture has been updated to provide a more welcoming, vibrant, and relaxing interactive and hang-out spaces for students and the entire campus community.
- Program – Campus Dining Services
- Gross Square Footage – 15,700
- Estimated Completion – September 2018
- Architect – Mesher-Shing-McNutt
- Contractor – Build SJC
This project will close the Dining Area, Mission Bakery and the Bronco for the entire Summer. The kitchen will remain open and food service will still happen in other areas of campus. On the first floor there will be no walkway from the west to east lobby. Passage through the basement will also be interrupted as the work on the floor cutouts will affect the hallway between conference room 21 and the Rainbow Resource Room. There will be work in the East and West lobbies towards the end of the project which will close those areas for a few days each.
Outside of Benson the sidewalk on the north side of Market street will be closed and pedestrians will have to cross at the east end of benson and back to campus on the west side of Benson. The grass area west of Benson will be fenced off and used for construction support as well as areas south of Swig. Please be aware of your surroundings and abide by all construction and circulation signage.
Construction Photos Slideshow
- No unauthorized persons may enter the construction site without the authorizations of the General Contractor
- Any Santa Clara University visitor to the site needs to be accompanied by a staff member from Planning and Projects within University Operations.
- Safety vests, hard hats, closed toe shoes and long pants are required on the job site at all times.